According to an August 2020 report from Credit Karma, medical debt has grown nearly 10% since 4Q 2019. COVID-19 medical bills contribute greatly to the increase. A quarter of that new debt is related to hospitalization, and to our elderly population who live on fixed incomes.
Bankruptcy For Medical Debt
Medical debt has long been a top factor in bankruptcy filings. Over the years, Debt Advisors has published several articles related to the topic of medical bills and how to eliminate that debt. In 2018 bankruptcy attorney Michael Georg was interviewed by WDJT-Milwaukee Channel 58. The interview, “Wisconsin family who received a shocking medical bill,” addressed how a simple blood test turned into thousands of dollars in unexpected charges. COVID-19 has further exacerbated this ongoing problem.
COVID-19 Medical Bills
Unfortunately, few insurance companies are waiving out-of-pocket costs related to COVID-19 treatment. Wisconsin public radio recently addressed the rise in medical bills during a COVID-19 related podcast stating, “many Wisconsin hospitals have paused legal action against outstanding medical debt. Pausing legal action is only temporary – it does not erase the debt; nor does it apply to all medical bills. For example, if there are outstanding medical debts that were in existence prior to COVID-19, those unpaid medical debts are likely to be sent to collections. Preventative screenings, emergency room care, or long hospital stays due to cancer or a COVID-19 related illness can all lead to a tremendous amount of debt. Filing bankruptcy is the only way to truly “wipe out” unsecured medical debt left by high cost medical services.
Help With Medical Debt
Due to the current pandemic, more people may find themselves in an economic crisis. It is not a matter of “if” debt collectors will start pursuing you, but more about “when.” We do not advise ignoring your bills, transferring debt to credit cards, or obtaining a line of credit from home equity. Prevent costly mistakes by getting professional and honest advice. Start with a Free Consultation with a medical bill lawyer at Debt Advisors. If you chose to hire us, get started for as little as $100.
After Hiring Medical Debt Attorney -10 Point Outline
- Trustworthy & sound legal advice before, during & after process
- Verify that your medical bills are legitimate
- Evaluate full extent of debt situation
- Determine if you may qualify for Ch.7 or Ch.13 bankruptcy
- Fully explain your options for informed decision
- File bankruptcy to either reduce total debt & set up a repayment plan (Ch.13) Or, ELIMINATE / DISCHARGE medical debt (Ch.7)
- Arrange for court required credit counseling, hearings, meetings, etc.
- Stop collection agencies using the “automatic stay.” This protection, only available through bankruptcy, can save your home from foreclosure, stop car repossession, end wage garnishments, etc.
- Work courts, bill collectors, banks & bankruptcy trustee
- Sue collections who violate FDCPA protections
Wisconsin Medical Bills Lawyer
We are Debt Advisors; medical debt lawyers who have been serving Wisconsin for more than fifteen years. We understand that long hospital stays, emergency room visits, a serious medical diagnosis or any unexpected high medical bills can lead to a serious financial crisis. In our fifteen years of experience, we have helped thousands of people get out from underneath medical bills and other types of debt. We offer virtual meetings. Read Google Reviews From Clients